|Growing Strawberries is one of the |
best returns on your $$... plus no pesticides
How we grow them here...
- We put down some torn up newspaper about 3 inches thick to stop weeds.
- Open a bag of organic potting soil and lay it down at least 6 inches deep. We use one bag for each 6 pack.
- Plant and cover with a good layer of mulch
- Lay a drip line through the strawberries
- In many zones you can plant them as a ground cover and get berries and weed control
Plant different varieties so you get strawberries at different times
Feel free to plant vertically. Strawberries love to grow stacked in boxes up the side of a fence or in several food grade buckets stacked with holes in the sides to plant into. (don't forget drain holes on the bottom)
Harvest in the early morning. Be sure to cut the stem not just pull the berry off. We find you need to eat them pretty much the day you pick them when they are organic and we like them best NOT cooled. Your choice.
You can dry them as strawberry chips. Yum... or make simple stove top syrup or jelly.
Follow the Castle Gardener. Perfecting permaculture and organic practices that are NO WORK and can be done by a farm girl with painted nails..